Tuesday, May 13, 2014

10 Things you didn't know about Erin - as she preps for MidAtlantic Regionals!

If you don't know Erin, co-owner of Crossfit Annapolis, you will want to after reading this. I met Erin in 1993 - a forced friendship because our brothers played soccer together. We hung out at a soccer awards banquet at Fudrucker's and never looked back. In a word Erin is fun. I spent my high school years at her house, baking chocolate chip banana bread, listening to music, and laughing a lot. Ah, memory lane:


Erin, Meg, and me - game ready!


Me, Erin, and Meg after a lacrosse game

Meg, Me, and Erin - my first car accident

Erin and me after a lacrosse tournament

Me and Erin at ODU lax camp


Erin is the definition of an athlete. She began with Lacrosse, then track and field, then Field Hockey. That was High School - we spent a lot of time together on those sport fields. Throughout college she stayed active - we separated to Longwood (me) and Va Tech (Erin). We are like yo-yo's though and always seem to come back together....next in an adult Lacrosse league. It was like old times. Running, laughing, and of course - chocolate chip banana bread.



Now Erin and I find each other together again - by spirit, email, text messages, and Facebook. :)  Both mothers of two boys. We both have road race and triathlon experiences under our belts - Erin's list is way more impressive than mine.



I cannot do justice to her impressive athletic achievements - it's a long list. Erin has completed every running distance I've ever heard of, including The Cheat Mountain Moonshine Madness 50 mile trail run, The Mid Maryland Ultra 50K and The Umstead 100 mile Endurance Race. She has done some impressive swims including the Chesapeake Bay Swim and of course triathlons.Erin ran the Dublin and Richmond Marathon and the JFK 50-miler while pregnant. She also completed the American Odyssey 200-mile Adventure Relay Run. After she had her baby she registered for Ironman Lake Placid and ran the Annapolis 10 Miler. Intimidated? Don't be. Erin is also the biggest cheerleader you will ever meet.

racing with her hubby

running for two


crossing the finish!


Currently Erin is training for the Mid Atlantic Regionals that are happening at GMU May 23-25. She went into The Open hoping to get to Regionals with Team Syndicate (ranked 6th place). Wouldn't you know - she also qualified to go as an individual (ranked 17th!)!!!!!

Here's my interview with Erin:

1. You have a background in running, lacrosse, and field hockey. How did you find yourself in Crossfit?

I first heard about Crossfit when it was more of an underground thing and the closest one around to me was 15 miles away (hardly the case now!). I had been very big into endurance competitions and was hoping to qualify for a few marathon/ultra-distance events so I swallowed my fear of the unknown and added Crossfit into supplement my endurance training. It definitely helped and I loved it!

2. What is your favorite way to WOD? Music or no music?

I would say music but to be honest it probably doesn't matter if it is silent and crickets are chirping. The last thing I typically hear before a workout is 3-2-1-GO and then I couldn't tell you what happens or what I hear until I am done.




3. Hardest Crossfit move for you at this time?

Oh gosh, right now- strict HSPU's. A lot of the gymnastic movements are a work in progress for me but I'm stubborn and keep at them. :)

4. Favorite Crossfit move?

At the moment butterfly pull-ups. I never thought I would say that but I worked so hard to have that become a smooth and efficient movement. When I first started trying to learn them, I looked like a struggling fish out of water!

5. Your goal for The Open was to qualify on a team, what was your reaction when you saw you finished 17th in the Mid Atlantic Region!?

I was really surprised, honestly. But I was thrilled- it's always motivating to have hard work pay off. Even when you feel like you are squeezing for time to train and compete. The Open can be tough because you have to be "on" during each one of those workouts for five weeks straight. Life still goes on during those five weeks- family, kids, friends, jobs, training, vacation, etc. It was definitely an adventure coordinating!



6. What keeps you motivated?

Two things:
1. My love of being an athlete and having the ability to run, jump, play, and move. I love seeing what I am capable of. If I fail, I have a new goal to reach and a story to grow from. If I succeed, I appreciate the journey it took me to get there. The sun will still rise tomorrow, no matter what kind of day I have. That's motivation. I try to swallow any fear I have of the unknown, take risks and whole-heartedly embrace the adventure of any journey I am on no matter what the outcome.
2. My family. My husband who supports me on all my crazy adventures and the two little boys who call me "mommy". I will strive every single day to be the kind of person I want them to grow to be. That is motivation for me to work hard and dream big....so they do, too.




7. You have a family - including two small boys! - What does a training day look like for you?

Oh gosh. Every day is a bit different but it typically starts in the early morning getting the boys dressed and fed and finishes with getting them fed, bathed, and into bed so I can collapse, myself. I know that isn't the "training" you mean but phew! Really though- I either get a training session in mid-day or in the early morning before the world wakes up. It's sort of a balancing act but getting in time to train or doing something active each day makes me a better....everything (mom, wife, friend). 



8. Do you have mantra, quote, saying that helps you get through the rough stuff?

Inspired from my baby boy, Kilian- "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."

9. You inspire so many - who inspires you?

I'm inspired every day by people I notice in the moment- the woman running while pushing two kids in a jogging stroller fighting to keep going no matter how tired and sleep-deprived she is; the student going to school and working full-time in order to follow a dream; the soldiers we see coming home to their families after being away for so many months. I try my best to listen and look around every day and find a moment- it's an easy way to be inspired if you let it be.

10. Favorite post workout food?

Chocolate chip banana bread. Always has been and always will be. :)


Just so you don't think I'm biased I got a little ditty from Megan  (you can read more about her here)- a partner in crime for Erin and I in high school and life (and pictured above).

We should have known Erin would be a a fitness/healthy guru from the beginning.  She chugged more ice water then anyone I had ever known. . she was all about hydration before hydration was cool.   When I say Chug. . . I mean she could put back gallons of water at Don Pablo's before I had finished a single glass. While most kids in school were eating pizza and chips, she would pack raw veggies that earned her the nickname broccoli buddy. Somehow we called each other that, but I am pretty sure I didn't earn it.   She did have a weakness for Baskin Robbins Chocolate and Peanut butter (lesson learned: everything in moderation right?!).

Erin was also a great leader in both our sports- lacrosse and field hockey.  I can remember doing long distance runs  and singing Beatles songs to help the time go by faster because she was such a natural runner. She would run ahead and tackle back making sure we were all finishing! We involved everyone around us to help get through the run (because let's be honest in high school 2 miles was long distance!).   

I remember vividly running around Burke Lake with Ann and Erin the summer before our senior field hockey season.    At the time, I didn't realize, but I had developed bad exercise induced asthma.  I was having such a hard time completing our long run. It was the longest run around the lake I had ever had and I remember being devastated because I had never felt like that before after being an athlete my whole life.  We finally finished and it was because both Erin and Ann were supportive and motivating through every mile!  I see these characteristics have continued on through both of their Crossfit communities!
xoxo - Meg


Thanks so much for inspiring all of us Erin!!!!! Good Luck at Regionals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. This was a really special trip down memory lane. I am really touched and so very humbled. This post and your words (and Merg's) will always hold a special place in my heart. :) xo Thank you!

    ReplyDelete